Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
That Pokmon Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Video games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I thought I was done with that series. But apparently not, because I decided to pick up Emerald and FireRed some time ago.

Ah, the strolls down memory lane. Picking Charizard as my starter in FireRed, getting a serious whipping from Misty in Cerulean Gym, nailing Brock with "Steel Claw"...

...wait a minute, wtf?

Yup, things are a little more interesting this time. Brock wasn't as much of a challenge since I was now able to pick up a Mankey early on and thrash his Geodue with some serious Karate Chops...

Unfortunately, it's not until you actually defeat Brock and acquire the Running Shoes from Oak's aide that FireRed really started to "feel" like an upgraded version of the original Pokmon. It was actually a bit boring until then.

And then there's Emerald. Some people hail the Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald versions as having more RPG value, and I can believe it. The path has a lot more winds and turns to it, even without the word that Emerald has some more significant plot twists than Ruby or Sapphire did. Plus, you get the Runningshoes a lot earlier than in FireRed (or LeafGreen), so it starts to feel like "who needs a bike?". Maybe it's an old-school Mario feel that you can just hold down the B button and run twice as fast as usual.

And the double battles? It's nice that Growl and Tail Whip affect both opponents at the same time, it makes them a lot more useful.

I chose "Arlex" as the name for my Emerald character, and "Redge" as the name of my FireRed character (I don't think I'll ever come up with a better name than that).

And there have been quite the surprises in store. Emerald has a LOT of double battles in it, because if you step between two trainers at the same time, [b]both[/b] of them will challenge you to a battle. It's actually quite exciting, and spreads out the experience growth more evenly.

And the gym leaders... I have new tales to tell.

FireRed version - Pewter City Gym. Without a Grass or Water type, Brock's Onix took quite a few beatings before going down, and his Rock Tomb move caused some serious KO's among my team. When Mankey finally fell, it was Charmander's Ember that finished the job. Now, if only I had waited another level until Charmander learned Steel Claw....

FireRed version - Cerulean City Gym. The fact that Misty now uses Water Pulse instead of Bubblebeam didn't help matters any, but the ability to exploit Starmie's Psychic nature with Meowth's dark-type Byte move was an added plus.

FireRed version - Vermillion City Gym. Who knew my Lv.21 Pikachu could take down Surge's Lv.24 Riachu, despite inferior stats and a lesser moveset? Raichu never tried to attack my Pikachu with the electric type (and always-hits) "Shock Wave", toss in me getting off a Thunder Wave on the first turn and a number of Quick Attacks, and somehow, Pikachu won.

FireRed version - Celadon City Gym. How did I forget about this one? I beat Team Rocket, captured a Snorlax, made my way all to Fuschia City, and then I realize that I never once challenged Erika. So when I entered the gym with a Lv.36 Charizard and Pidgeot, well... she was even less of a challenge now than originally.

Emerald version - Rustbory City Gym. Surprise, surprise, the first gym leader's a Rock-type trainer? But for some reason, I felt that Treecko was the best starter pokmon of this version (previous games, I'd generally go with the Fire-type starter). Plus, with additional Grass and Water types such as Wingull and Lotad, Roxanne would be a pushover, correct? Er, wrong. One or two hits from Rock Tomb spelled out a quick KO to most of my team, even the non-flying ones. And her Lv.15 Nosepass could take quite a few beatings. Somehow, it was Lotad that carried the day. If Roxanne had stuck with using Rock Tomb against him I would have lost, but for some reason she never tried it against him.

Emerald version - Dewford Town Gym. A Fighting-type? Score! Brawly's Machop did some serious damage to my team, but a curious thing happened after that: After losing a few pokmon to Meditite's "Focus Punch", I discovered that if I just kept attacking, it would disrupt the attack, and I wouldn't take any damage. Plus, with a Lv.13-14 Dustox, double resistance to Fighting-type moves, and a few Hardens, the final showdown against Brawly's Makuhita was almost a one-pokmon show. Despite a 6-level gap (Lv.14 vs Lv.20), there was almost no contest here.

Emerald version - Mauville City Gym. What a surprise -- no wait, Wattson's an Electric type, so I should have expected the whupping. Things went rather swell until he sent out his Manectric. Paralysis on both sides, superior levels and defense on his side, so despite defensive advantages of Grass, Electric, and Ground, Wattson still stands.

But now, for the coup de grace...

FireRed version - Fuschia City Gym. The battle against Koga was long and drawn out, but in the end it turned out to be nearly another single-pokmon-conquers-all show: My Lv.25 Ghost-Poison type Haunter defeated Koga's Lv.35+ pokmon with little support from the rest of my team. Let's see... his Poison type means he's immune to Toxic, and his Ghost type makes him immune to Normal-type moves (such as the ever popular Selfdestruct). The only thing that could harm him was Weezing's Sludge (which, because of the several level gap between Haunter and Weezing, inflicted 1/3 damage to him). Koga used a few Hyper Potions, I used a few Supers, and with never-miss Shadow Punch, Weezing's smokescreen was just smoke & mirrors.

FireRed version - Zapdos battle. Serious KO'age to much of my team from Zapdos's Drill Peck, despite hindering him with several Sand-Attack moves. Somehow, Zapdos ran out of moves while I was tossing Pok Balls, and while I had weakened him into the red zone, and paralyzed him as well (thanks to Pikachu's "Static"), ironically, it was Struggle's recoil that killed off Zapdos. Nope, that's not something I'm going to save. I'll be heading back sometime with Hypnosis, and more Ultra Balls at my disposal.

I'm no pokfan, but I do respect the little RPG monsters. Perhaps that's what gives the Pokmon series its charm. Forget the stupid anime, it's the RPG's that made them what they are today.

Does anyone else have any interesting tales from the pokside of things to share?
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
Sonic_Thinkoman

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, let me start off with this(and not trying to rude or anything)but,
1. You shouldent have wasted your time typing so much. I mean, in my opinon, pokeman died off at around the turn of the centrey. Theres many more thing you could be doing besides writing this thread like playing paintball, hacking your schools mainframe, etc.
2. Who likes pokemon anymore.
and 3. No one cares how you did in a video game that we've all had enough of in our deranged childhood. <_<
Paru
Forum Scalleywag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kid, whoever you are, please shut up. <3

Aaand to stay more on topic...I haven't picked up any of the newest ones yet. The latest one I have is Saphire and I actually haven't played it much lately. I've been mostly messing around with my old Red and Blue games and having fun with all of the glitches. Fun stuff.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v406/Paru/missingno7en.jpg[/img]
^_^
LunaticCrow
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sonic_Thinkoman (Luke Cannon ***"] [b]hacking your schools mainframe[/b] [/quote]
I lol'd

The new ones were actually quite fun for me (I've only played Sapphire and Leafgreen in that respect, though). But after playing them, the pokemon box convenience compared to the older ones..Dx And the select button bike register....

:X I got a bit too comfortable with it. I turned into a pussy Dx

[quote]Who likes Pokemon anymore[/quote]

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.
KeheiZero
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only ones I had were Red, Yellow and Silver. Completed Red, partially because my brother had Blue. Never bothered with Yellow much for some reason. I got pretty far with Silver though, about 210 caught. But I have to say I didn't like the starting 3 in that game much. Didn't have the same coolness that Charmander, Bulbasaur and Squirtle had, if you ask me.
SilentSoul92
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sonic_Thinkoman (Luke Cannon ***"] Ok, let me start off with this(and not trying to rude or anything)but,
1. You shouldent have wasted your time typing so much. I mean, in my opinon, pokeman died off at around the turn of the centrey. Theres many more thing you could be doing besides writing this thread like playing paintball, hacking your schools mainframe, etc.
and 3. No one cares how you did in a video game that we've all had enough of in our deranged childhood. <_< [/quote]
Kid, you just bought yourself a one-way ticket to hatesville with me. Secondly, don't try to act like everyone has the same opinion as you. Go to Japan, a bunch of people sitll like pokemon. Thirdly, pokemon has survived for a really long time, why? Because there are still people who like it. Fourth, don't try to contradict Strata. He been around a lot longer than you, or me, or most of the people here, so shut your piehole.

On the other hand, I got LeafGreen, not fire read and I started out with Squirtle (I like the water types better)

Emerald definitely has more RPG value to it, but I still like Gold and Silver better since you got to fight 16 gym leaders instead of only the eight you usually get. Plus, traveling between the two regions was fun, not to mention trying to complete the pokedex, which is really, really, hard.
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sonic_Thinkoman (Luke Cannon ***"] Ok, let me start off with this(and not trying to rude or anything)but,
and 3. No one cares how you did in a video game that we've all had enough of in our deranged childhood. <_< [/quote]
Please choke on Body of Christ and die. <3
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]QUOTE (Sonic_Thinkoman (Luke Cannon *** @ Dec 30 2005, 01:56 PM)
Ok, let me start off with this(and not trying to rude or anything)but,
and 3. No one cares how you did in a video game that we've all had enough of in our deranged childhood. dry.gif

Please choke on Body of Christ and die. <3 [/quote]
Wow. You can almost feel the hardcore pwnage. Cool

Anyway. Ya. It's gonna be great when Diamond and Pearl are released for the DS. Speculation says it's gonna have online. It would be awesome to have a Pokemon MMORPG.

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Stratadrake
Elder Than Dirt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote]Ok, let me start off with this(and not trying to rude or anything)but,
and 3. No one cares how you did in a video game that we've all had enough of in our deranged childhood.[/quote]
Dude, you just lost seven respect points; one for each member you offended (not including me), and one for each point you've already been proven wrong on. :P

1 - You have NO grounds to tell me what to spend my time on or not, because you don't even know what I do spend my time on in the average day. Here, let me give you a hint about what my typical day is like:
- Wake up at 5 a.m. Spend 30 minutes getting up, shaving, breakfast, etc.
- Spend 30 minutes checking my e-mail, dA account, and FAC alerts.
- Leave for work at 6 a.m. by bicycle, while it's still quite dark outside. Work is 30 minutes of travel time away in temperatures ranging from 20-40F, in conditions ranging from clear or cloudy sky to pouring down rain.
- Work for eight hours, plus 30 minutes for lunch.
- Return home by bicycle (another 30 minutes)
- Spend 30mim - 1hr logging in to the FAC forums.
- Spend [i]another[/i] 30min - 1hr reviewing yesterday's submissions and checking for misplaced pictures.
- Go to bed at 10-11 p.m.

I simply don't have that much free time I can spend playing games anymore.

2 - Who plays Pokmon? Tell me why, when each new version of Pokmon comes out, it's at the top of the GBA best sellers list for a few months. Pokmon may not have the raging fad status it used to, but it's [b]far[/b] from obscure. Did you know that (for comparison) Super Smash Bros. Melee, one of the GCN's launch titles, is [i]still[/i] one of its best sellers? That game's, what, four years old? And people are STILL playing it.

3 - I created this thread for discussion about all things pokmon. There hasn't been a pokmon game -related thread in ages, so you have no right to say what pokmon related things I can or cannot discuss in here. It wasn't a waste of my time to create this thread, but writing up all this rebuke -- yes, that's a waste. I could have been drawing.

In summary: [b]YOU[/b] JUST GOT PWNED. . . . .
Strata here: [url=http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/242293]Nanowrimo[/url] - [url=www.fanart-central.net/user-Stratadrake.php]FAC[/url] - [url=http://stratadrake.deviantart.com]dA[/url] - [url=www.furaffinity.net/user/Stratadrake/]FA[/url]
[size=9]Disclaimer: Posts may contain URLs. Click [url=http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TVTropesWillRuinYourLife]at your own risk.[/url][/size]
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The poor noob had no chance. Ten bucks says we never hear from him again and another ten says that if we do, he'll get pwned just as hard. Rolling eyes

NOT CHANGING THIS SIGNATURE UNTIL THE RELEASE OF NINTENDO WII!...wait. Its here? OMG! SWIIT!
Brianhjh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one with a blatantly up-front religious sigs survive, trust me.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that. Anyways.

Ya. I was wondering. Wouldn't it be cool if they had made updated versions of Gold and Silver. Gold Sky, Silver Ocean or something. ^_^

Gameglitch
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes the pokemon craze I played my share of that game I have pokemon blue, yellow, silver, sapphire and pokemon stadium 1 and 2. I remember me and a friend of mine use to play that game quite a bit ( the stadium games) for a while until it got to the point where we where able to counter each others moves so well that we end up having a struggle match in the end. And it would be a LOOONG gruelling match. We both did not want to lose until I we gave up and dont do that anymore but who knows we might forget about them passed games and maybe someday try again I remember my Muk was one of my dirtiest underhanded pokemon I had (sorry for the pun). If played right and with some luck. I was able to wipe out a whole team of apposing pokemon with just that one monster. I would use a deadly combination of mud slap/ minimise/ acid armour/ sludge bomb combo then tag on leftovers just to make it twice as annoying. And to top the cake I maximized out all his move points, so I can purposely waste moves just so the apposing pokemon will hopefully run out of moves before me. So I ended up with a ton of minimise and acid armour. The nice thing about poison type was they had very little weaknesses. I know there is ways of getting around this set up, but the trick was to try to drag the battle on and on; and the longer the battle lasted muk was increasingly harder and harder to beat; it even came to the point where I was able to even take out a physic type in one match. Well anyway there was other pokemon that I had that was possibly equally as nasty like my curse lax (which I know other people use that combo of moves) and my Polywrath that was able to use Fissure and a lock on move (but I cant remember the name) where the next move will not miss, so after that move, Fissure would hit every time (but not flying types)(and I did not use a Gameshark as I dont have it for Gameboy)

Well anyway it is possible that I may not buy another pokemon game (though cant entirely rule that out), as all pokemon games are basically the same. Sure there maybe new move sets, combos and new pokemon but all in all the same.
Honjetan
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I got is Sapphire and Gold
LunaticCrow
Elder In Training

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="anti_sk8r (Red)"] Anyway. Ya. It's gonna be great when Diamond and Pearl are released for the DS. Speculation says it's gonna have online. It would be awesome to have a Pokemon MMORPG. [/quote]
Weren't Diamond and Pearl just Rom edits/bootlegged versions of Ruby and Sapphire? Forgive me if I'm wrong, but.. :huh: Haven't stayed very informed on the scene as of late.

But, I do agree that an MMORPG of pokemon would kick major ass. It'd be like FF11 but not as lame. Then I could battle with my darlings Magnemite and Corphish... :wub:
Pyrodragon125
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have:
Red
Blue
Yellow
Gold
Silver
Ruby
Trading Card Game(ghey)
Snap
Stadium
I COMPLETELY beat Red and Blue (I got two Mews at one of those competitions in the mall) Missing No. had a lot to do with that. So much Rare Candy..... :D

I've wanted to try FireRed, but my insecurities say no. "No 17 year old guy in his right mind would go buy a Pokemon game." I've already gotten a lot of s**t for playing a Pokemon game, so I just keep busy with the other games more "my age."
I miss Pokemon...that WAS my entire childhood... Sad That feeling I got when I first played Red version on Christmas morning so many years ago....*sigh*
I used to play it at school with the rest of my grade, trading with all the other kids! It was the biggest hit at my school. EVERYONE played Pokemon back then...
That, and I don't want to erase my old games. Another insecurity, I literally have my childhood saved on those little cartridges. Gray Wub

One of these days I'll play Pokemon again..
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] Weren't Diamond and Pearl just Rom edits/bootlegged versions of Ruby and Sapphire?[/quote]

Actually, that's right. But coincidently they're also the names of the next Pokemon rpgs. Go figure. =p

[quote]But, I do agree that an MMORPG of pokemon would kick major ass. It'd be like FF11 but not as lame.[/quote]

And the best part is, we wouldn't have to pay monthly fees! Nintendo WiFi Connection doesn't charge for online play. ^_^

Brianhjh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pyrodragon125 (Matt)"] I have:
Red
Blue
Yellow
Gold
Silver
Ruby
Trading Card Game(ghey)
Snap
Stadium
I COMPLETELY beat Red and Blue (I got two Mews at one of those competitions in the mall) Missing No. had a lot to do with that. So much Rare Candy..... :D

I've wanted to try FireRed, but my insecurities say no. "No 17 year old guy in his right mind would go buy a Pokemon game." I've already gotten a lot of s**t for playing a Pokemon game, so I just keep busy with the other games more "my age."
I miss Pokemon...that WAS my entire childhood... Sad That feeling I got when I first played Red version on Christmas morning so many years ago....*sigh*
I used to play it at school with the rest of my grade, trading with all the other kids! It was the biggest hit at my school. EVERYONE played Pokemon back then...
That, and I don't want to erase my old games. Another insecurity, I literally have my childhood saved on those little cartridges. Gray Wub

One of these days I'll play Pokemon again.. [/quote]
Cute,

same here, but since I'm Asian, I had roms.
Pyrodragon125
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I had the roms too. Green and Yellow before they came out in US. I somehow beat the first 3 Gym battles in Green even though I had no idea what the f**k they said.
anti_sk8r
Forum Stalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote] Cute,

same here, but since I'm Asian, I had roms.
[/quote]
Laughing That explains a lot.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Video games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: