Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
"limit Yourself To No More Then 5 Per Day......"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fev
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any way to actually limit the number of submissions in a day?

I mean 5 submissions in a day is a TON of leeway, i mean, i can't churn out 5 quality pieces in a day, and i commonly see people completely blasting out the recent submissions page with *tons* of submissions.. i know i don't submit often, but when i do, its like i have to wait for the people who post like 7+ pieces in one sitting to leave the site before i submit.. Sad

I know this is on an honor system, but its sorta like leaving a bag of assorted chocolate bars out in front of a bunch of kids, telling them "please take only 5 each", then leaving em all unsupervised... it won't happen.. kids'll grab *everything*, including the candy they don't like..

Why?
Because they can Rolling eyes

as much as the whole limitations on the subject discussions thing is, the more effective way to improve the site would be to actually enforce the number of sumbissions people can make in a day,.. maybe they'll be a little more picky about what they might post, instead of posting *anything* they do :\

because currently the "honor system" isn't not working at all
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my god, i so agree with this. I could name a few people that post 7 things a day on a regular basis. And it is common sense that a person does not put out artwork like that a day, not anything they put any effort into.

No, i am not saying that it isn't art. But seriously people, if you want people to see your work and get opinions on them, why wouldn't you want to try on your work a little more, put a little more effort in thin plain color ines and s**t.

I hate how some just blast the site with post after post of artwork that is not better than a 5 year olds. You can plainly see by these pieces and how often post that they dont' try or put any real effort it. and all they do it make it incredibly hard to find anyone who does try, let alone a real good artist. I know no one is perfect, but you can't possibly tell me your try real hard or put any real effort into the sutff if you submit 7 new things a day, i mean come on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, if only you people would've been around to agree with me 6 months ago... Razz

It's always been my opinion that one should present their best online. Why wouldn't you? Don't you want people to think you're a good artist? Now, a person can post however many pictures they want on their own personal site, but I really think a public site should be a place for your very best. That's a huge thing I don't like about DA. Kids submit every sketch they ever do, including five minute doodles from their math notes, so there's page after page of junk. If you're proud of that stuff and want to share it, great, it doesn't take that long to set up your own site.

I love to see really great artists, click on their profile, and have a new site to go to that has all their sketches and more laid back work. It's those few great pieces that make me want to look at the rest of their stuff and even make me think those things are better because I know what they're capable of. If I just see those sketches, how do I know that isn't that person's best?

But I know without actual quality guidelines, there's no way to keep people from submitting junk, but they could at least keep it to the five picture limit. Because it's sooooo nice to see the piece I spent six months on pushed down the list by three people submitting 40 sketches. <_<
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you mean Fallen, it's a pain in the @$$, i spent hours on the site when i first arrived, before actually registering, searching all over the freakin place for good artwork. Yes, i did find some i like, and few i loved. But it was like 1/100 pictures, which is crazy! And i still spend my ime when i can't sleep, up for hours trying to find new s**t or old s**t to add to favs or try and comment on.

Just this morning when i checked the site to look at some of Li's work (yes, LiYang is going ot be added to my favorites, he's a oogd artist, and he puts effort in people) i saw one person upload 5 pictures. And i thought of this thread, so i waited for 2 minutes and refreshed the page, and guess waht, another picture from this person, i did it again a few more times and this person put like 8 pictures up in minutes. i mean, i checked out one piece of their work and it looks half decent, has that messy look to it but it's one of those that are meant to, not those pretty smooth, one stroke lines. I like messy, and i will give a person a chance in my book because the piece i saw was done on plain, white paper, and half the people submit s**t on lined, notebook paper, which is just stupid and annoying. Especially when you can tell no effort was put into the drawing.

And there is a difference between drawing something, and not being very good, and drawing something and just not trying or caring. I know not everyone is a good artist, i'm a horrible drawer, i'm a painter mainly, but i practice my drawing, and i can be good with a few types of drawings like cartoons from the newspaper and dr suess characters (lol, they're cute) But put some effort in it right?

I make stupid, ugly doodles, and what Fallen said is true, i would not post my doodle and less worked on pieces to a site like this, i would put my nicer stuff up, and i do have a link to my website in my profile. Of which i might start posting the lesser stuff soon enough and start a small gallery section for me, (it's family based with pictures and jokes and s**t so) And it isn't hard to make a small website for youself, really.

I wouldn't mind bad art, or less talented or what not, i dont care how good it is, just as long as the artist who posts it (which should be the artist that made it i remind you) put some real effort into it, i mean, really.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course Li is. *gropes the "Chained" gift yet again*

Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, aww, how cute. *Rolls eyes* i love you people. lol.

Li has done a drawing for me, he's such a sweetheart, i owe him big time. He saved me. lol.
fev
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow O.o

there's actually responses in this thing...

anyways, honestly, i really think that it should be an *enforced* limit, no matter what quality of work it is (5 submission in a day is still very excessive to me.. 2 or 3 maybe, but 5= lots of sketchy/quickies that literally blows out half the front page)... its all a matter of [b]respect for eachother as artists[/b], wether we can't draw a straight line or are like.. DaVinci or something..

I'm on another site that only allows 2 submission per day, and its enforced.. so if someone wants to submit really quick doodles, they'd have to submit 2 & wait til the next day.. and if a pro wants to dump half their uberl337 website into the thing, they ALSO have to wait.

I have a friend who refuses to join this site specifically due to the quality of work he has seen, and its probably the reason why i've been hearing of so many good artists that leaving as well.. whats the point in investing time to upload & participate if you immediately get tossed into the netheregions of the gallery?

I *rarely* ever click the new submissions, due to the incredibly rare finished piece, and choose instead to refresh the page to look at the 5 random pieces on the side...

I was very hesitant to join due to this (amongst many other reasons), but unlike my friend, i'm bored, have no sense, and got nothing better to do, so i submit my work.. only to watch my pieces get tossed off the first page in a matter of minutes..

by one person...

(btw, snazzy work fallenangel- I take it you got yer handle off poison? :3)
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some people submit 5 amazing pictures in one day just because they do as I do, wait until they have a few finished to submit. I've done that a few times, until school started and I ran out of free time. I agree, though, that even five is a bit much. And yes, I think the limit of 5 should be enforced. If people get upset, it's their own problem for not reading the obvious warning.

(indeed I did. And thank you. Smile Just a step away from the edge of a fall, caught between heaven and hell, where's the girl I knew a year ago?)
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of Fev, i'm not sure if the "wow, people are posting" thing was a compliment ot just surprised people cared, so i will ignore that nad just say thanks. lol.

And i agree with what you said, five is a lot even, and a true artist wouldn't mind waiting the next day to submit something.
fev
Newb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually, a little bit of both, Lasher.. and i do thank you for leaving your opinion on it,... seeing as i'm pretty new, and the current systems prolly been in place fro a while, i had no idea if anyone really cared or anything... did a quick search to see if there were any threads about this, but didn't seem to be any mention of the issue *shrugs*
just been wondering how other members felt about the honor system is all ^^

Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*shrugs* eh, it's all good.

As for how many people may agree with us on this issue, well i'm pretty sure a damn lot of them. But not everyone comes in the forums still, let alone posts replies to them really, not any real sensible people any ways. We have a lot of youngins in here who have yet to mature so....

And i'm not exactly an elder member, i've only been around for about to months but yes i completely agree with what you guys are saying on this. And i'm a strong believer that while everything you disagree will not turn around for hwo you want it to be and just change, but that change wouldn't happen in this world if people didn't question their standards, the rules and ask questions in general. So even if anything isn't done, it's always a good thing to express your opinion, in a mature way of course. Which i'm glad to see everyone in this thread has, yaay.

lol. But yes, i agree Fev, and welcoem to the site ^_^
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only time I submitted more than five was the first day I found this place, and at that time it wasn't really a big deal because only about 5 people submitted anything in a day, anyway. Now, though, the rules have changed to fit the number of people, and I'm thinking maybe they should be adjusted again.

And yes yes, welcome to the site/forums.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "request" to limit to 5 a day was designed to limit the amount of flooding, but still allow new members to post their past pics.

Now that the site has grown even bigger, It is time to go farther.

This policy is now enforced.
Lasher
I used to work here

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See wht i'm talking about. If you voice your opinions, it might get you somewhere someday. Thank you denis, great job. and god damn is this sit getting bigger.
Jaduna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah this site is big! it took me more than two [read it] TWO days{!} to view the entire site! and Honestly, I think we should only be allowed to post two pics day. And those who post more than two would be put up on da wall'a'shame, because they were flooding! And welcome Fev, to FC! I hope you enjoy it! (jeebz, I sound like a flight attendent! lol) newayz, I have Never{!} to this DAY{!} submitted more than 5 piccies a day! Smile oh yeah...btw, a user named SailorSiriusDex sometimes posts coloring book edits (she gives credit to da maka of da colorin'book) and I was wondering if thats allowed......is it? :huh:
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not. I'd check to see if there was a report about it, but with FAC down, there's really no point.
Jaduna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oO; as soon as it's back up Im'a'gonna tell her! Surprised her own work (non coloring book images) are good! I dont want her added 2 da wall'a'shame!
dragonsun5
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with the whole 5 per day pic thing....i want this site to get back up because i like it a lot...and i like to look at a lot of other people's original pics....::sigh:: i can't draw originals that well so i like to admire other peeps works...

anywayz i don't post often....im just to lazy to hook up my scanner....and i don't post that many pics in one setting...like maybe one or two....but when i look at the new art list....u see like the entire front screen with one screen name with all these pics...sometimes they're good...other times...not so good.... WTF?

That gets annoying....

well...thats my imput...sry for repeating anyone else

dragon :ph34r:

[QUOTE] "we few, We happy few, we band of brothers" <--one of my favorite quotes Rolling eyes
Simple
Very bored

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 5 pictures a day thing sounds good. But wasnt that something that you were supposed to do?

But anyways. I think this site needs some major site cleaning! I've seen so much crud here now. Cause I remember (before I was a member) this site was ausome to find really good fanart everywhere you look! Now i see sketches of ppl doodling on folder paper.
I mean yeah I have a few(1 or 2) sketches that arent exactly quality work ,but after awhile I take them down.

Fanart central isnt what it used to be.

And I think some ppl need to learn how to resize their pictures... that also might be part of the problem...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Asil
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree! I hate how there are always those people who post 5+ pictures [i]every[/i] day... and when u look at their artwork, its so easy to tell that the artist put nearly no effort into it. Turning out 5 quality pictures a day is really not possible, not unless the artist has absolutely nothing to do, no schooll to go to, no work... It's so difficult to find pictures that I can appreciate because I feel as if the artist posted them up just for the sake of posting pictures up. Then, when someone does post a good piece of art up, its bumped down quickly because of these crap pictures. I think good artwork is less than 1/100...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> FAC Site Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: