Logo
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in
Site Performance
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made several changes to the site to improve performance today.

The ever increasing traffic has been putting a heavy load on the site and slowing it down during peak hours. I hope the latest batch of changes made a big difference, wont be sure 'till tomorrow's peak hours.

If the site gets much more traffic I'll have to start removing features or getting a better server.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what it is or if it's still happening, but when I get a comment notification and click on the link, it takes me to the Halloween skin. Not a big deal; it just takes longer to load.
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skin selection is stored in a cookie.

Change your skin on the front page and it should remember it on that computer.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is set to be the normal skin, though. Well, when I type in the URL or click my bookmark. It's just if I go by the link. Meh, it might not be doing that anymore. I don't remember if it did the last time I got a comment or not.
LilChan
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Better Server will be nice. But if you can't what you can do is limit 2 pics a day and limit maybe like 50pics per person on their username and make them delete some old pictures. I know it might seem unfair, but with the size and all it seems reasonable. I try to limit my pics only up to 50 or less by deleting older ones. But just my opinion and some people might be very sensitive about their work.
heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the site gets fixed and what are peak hours? :huh:
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the possible solutions...

1 submission per day (possibly 2?) - I like this idea. Not only will it give each picture more exposure, it'll cut down on the amount of crap if people have to decide what is their best work. Very very few people can complete more than one exceptional piece in one day, and hopefully it would encourage people to put more effort into their submissions and stop uploading quick sketches. And if someone does happen to have two or three they wish to submit, it certainly won't kill them to have to wait until the next day. They should just be happy the site doesn't have the approval system of elfwood.

Approval panel - Again, it's a good idea and very easily done. There are enough people on this site who are very willing to help and who you know are responsible and do exceptional work themselves. It would take a huge number of submissions for there to ever be a backup because, unlike the abuse reports, it's a lot simpler to look at a submission and immediately judge whether it meets the requirements or not. No one is reporting people for not following the "no lined paper" and such rules, so this would really help. Combined with the smaller image limit, it would cut the site's usage down to a fifth (or two fifths).

Of course server improvements would be nice, but it seems like a lot of effort, time, and resources to fix a problem that could be done in other ways and improve the site at the same time by getting rid of the junk.

As for limiting the total number of pictures one's allowed to have in their gallery, I [i]really[/i] dislike that idea. I don't think it will encourage people to delete older pictures as much as it will make them leave the site in favor of places with poorer service but unlimited space, like deviantart. I can say that if I were required to not only delete images I have in my gallery now, but delete one every time I wanted to submit something else, I'd quit submitting simply because I don't want to deal with judging two pieces I'm proud of against each other. It may be easier for the people who submit many many sketches, but as one of the people who only submits extremely labored over pieces...bah.

Pardon the rant. Boredom on a snow day. Rolling eyes
TenthDivine
Canhas uzertitle nao?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That 1-2 pics submission thing DOES sound rather nice. I think that would encourage me to transform sketches into more intricate works so it doesn't look like I'm taking up space with easily dispensable drawings. Or...yeah, I'm confused by what I just said.

An approval panel is also nice but thanks to certain people (that have nothing to do with FAC) I'm also kinda wary. But omit that last part, just a little external thought of mine. And...what's the suggested smaller image limit? I usually put my stuff at 40% so I hope that's fine.

I don't think I really have any sketches in my gallery, although I hardly remember now and can't check since the site's down(or can I check? I dunno that either...whatever) :wacko:

I haven't said anything worth anything, have I? Right... I'll go now.
LilChan
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol i wouldnt have to worry about choosing which pics to delete, all mine are crap ahah. but i was drawing really crappy things when i first came on this site, then i got better and almost deleted half my pics to put in new better one's beause it motivated me to draw better. im not sure about some people who have like 400 pics already in there account, but i think at least if you at least reduce the size limit to what they can post up, wouldn't be as much of a problem as other solutions(unless new server~). I look at other people's pics and i see that they just scribble something down and post it up, like sketches which is good, but a finished pic captures more of a person's eye(But skectches sometimes arn't always colored as the final pic). I also suggest that people should ONLY put up 1 pic, and not a duplicate on the site, it's good to see an unfinished and finished work to see how much improvment, but it takes up too much room and is sometimes futile. I do like the 1-2 pics a day tho. i see some people who do like 5 everyday. that will also give them time to do better on their pics before the next post.

But yeah, i'll stop talking now. All this is just my opinion and i hope that you can work things out, whatever you choose to do~ Very Happy
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are some people who have hundreds of images and could easily delete some that aren't their best or ones they're not proud of, but I think that would be good for people to do, anyway, without it being a rule. I went through my gallery a couple months ago and deleted everything that wasn't up to my standards (mostly. A couple silly cartoons stayed, but that's because my cartooning ability is about 0). I just don't like the idea of anyone, even Denis, telling me I have to pick between pieces I spent upwards of 20 hours perfecting.

And besides, ya wouldn't make me do that, would ya Denis? Uneasy

As for multiples of the same picture, I generally agree. If you need to post a WIP for help, either delete that version when you post the finished thing, or post the WIP in the forums and ask for help there (a better solution, anyway).

About the only time I think doubles are good is if you wish to post detail shots of something. Granted, if the 1 submission rule was put in place, a normal shot could be included with a collage of details, but that doesn't look quite so good. When I submitted my little sculptures, I posted large normal shots, and then a separate collage of details you couldn't see in the first. But I could live without being able to do that.
layzcarter
I used to work here

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am more than willing to delete some of my old crappers. And I like the idea of the Approval panel. Approval panel all the way!
Rayne
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm ready to totally move all my art to a new site. All the new rules and such are getting insane.

But I can't, since I can't even get onto the site.

.. frankly, I miss the days when we had hardly any people here. An approval panel is horrible. People are already recieving bad responses to their art. I generally disagree with the concept of having a load of others deciding whether or not their art is up to par enough to be allowed to be seen.

In any case, if I get banned because of my comments, please send my art to me, or give me a chance to save them. This is driving me nuts anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SurrealSightstoBeSeen
Newb

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've nothing to loze, personally, by deleting some pictures to make room for others, and to limit the amount i post. You could even set the limit to 5 per week,instead.But i was considerign the bandwidth problem...I almost said nothing, because admitedly i only half know what i'm talking about...but if mirror sites could be possible, could you make every memeber house their own section,somehow? Please be gentle witht he ignorance behidn the question...I was just thinking, there's no way my computer could handle a mirror site...but if it could hold my work, then i'd be more than happy to make room for it.
Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Rayne (Chris Salter)"] I'm ready to totally move all my art to a new site. All the new rules and such are getting insane.

But I can't, since I can't even get onto the site.

.. frankly, I miss the days when we had hardly any people here. An approval panel is horrible. People are already recieving bad responses to their art. I generally disagree with the concept of having a load of others deciding whether or not their art is up to par enough to be allowed to be seen.

In any case, if I get banned because of my comments, please send my art to me, or give me a chance to save them. This is driving me nuts anyway. [/quote]
I think they're talking about meeting the rules requirements... Like no lined paper (cuz that's obviously something you did cuz you were bored...not something you sat down to do) or photos or something.

i've got a few suggestions:
I like the size requirement idea. A lot of people simply scan and post, not even croping the empty space or shrinking it to an eye-pleasing size (I'm sick of hunting for them on the page only to find I still can't see what the heck the picture is)

another idea is to require a file size max. I'm not 100% sure on this, but aren't some file types larger than others? Like a bitmap to a Jpeg? But I think that's one way to get people to shrink their images too (since the larger the picture, the larger the file, right?)

Another thing we might want to do is mail the people who have over 100 pictures up to make sure they're following the rules, and perhaps if they want to get rid of anything they don't want, to do so. (I've seen people with almost 600 pictures and many are repeats or different various--like reversing the colors or something)

Last thing: reviews take up space too, right? I'm fine with people getting a million reviews..if they're about the picture. I've seen many reviews turn into forums. I don't know if you guys want to do anything about this since a lot of the kids on the site don't read the rules anyway T.T;;;;

As for photos, banners, and official art that's been posted innocently (in a sense of they didn't know they weren't allowed because they didn't read the rules) if you need any help with that, I'd love to volunteer (just let me know).
If my age is of any concern, I'm 18. Right now I've got time, but school starts again next week (then i'll be a little rare.....)

Hope I can help!! ^.^;;;;;;
~Raymei K.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes yes, the review panel would [b]in no way[/b] judge skill level or anything like epilogue and elfwood. Never never never. It would simply make sure that nothing is being submitted that breaks the rules. That would cut down on abuse reports, as well. If something slips through, then it can be reported, but the screengrabs and such could be filtered out a lot faster.

Don't worry, we don't mean to switch the site to some elitist place where you have to have a certain level of talent. In fact, there aren't very many quality rules at all, but of the few that are in place, it would be nice to enforce them, especially since no one reports people breaking those rules, nor would it make that much sense to. We simply remove all the images of people who steal art, but posting a sketch on lined paper is hardly reason to do that. It's more an individual image that should be removed by the artist themselves, or with the review panel, it just wouldn't be approved in the first place.

Honestly, are the rules that bad, Rayne? None of them seem unfair to me at all, but your comment about wishing the site was back how it was may explain your way of thinking. Unfortunately, as more people join, the rules have to change to accomodate everyone, but in no way have we limited anyone's artistic freedom, only trying to keep everyone to the point of the site (ie no official art, no photos, no copyright violations, etc). It's either rules or chaos, which would ultimately cause [i]everyone[/i] to leave the site.

If you don't like it, sorry to see you go, but you'll quickly find that the situation is worse elsewhere. You may be able to upload as many things as you want with fewer restrictions, but most communties are horrid when it comes to getting reviews or even being seen at all. Good luck. (and I mean that. if you succeed, more power to ya)
cstdenis
Evil Overlord

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to clarify that the current problem is not one of space. In terms of disk space, the site can grow about 15x bigger before that becomes a serious problem. Total number of pics by an artist is not a problem.

The problem is too many people viewing pictures, which is why I think limiting/approving will have limited success in fixing this problem.
fallenangel
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Less pictures=less pictures to be viewed=less clicks.

Or maybe I'm missing something else... WTF?

Like the problem is total number of people? In that case, everyone I don't like, get out. B)

edit: and besides, though the problem at hand should be dealt with first, I'd still like to see those other things put into place regardless (as I believe I mentioned before and you shot me down Razz).
Raymei
Oldbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="fallenangel (fallen)"] Like the problem is total number of people? In that case, everyone I don't like, get out. [/quote]
Bwahahaa n.n well put Fallen

And thanks for clearing that up, Denis o.o That clears things up a bit.

Then yeah, limiting the amount of pictures per day and the whole approval setting to screen for 2-second-sketches and photos and such sounds good ^.^ I trust whatever decions you guys make

such as the new rules o.o I"m behind all of them 100% I think it's great that there's a art site that doesn't allow "pencil photocopiers" (official art drawn detail to detail as a replica), tracings, etc.

You guys are the best! n.n Thank you so much from the bottom of my little heart!
heartless91
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really like the idea of an approval panel Because sometimes people dont read the rules so thay dont know if their doing something wrong like me. the idea of limiting the # of pictures you sent a day should really help.

Does anyone know when the site is gona open again?
ive been there for only two days and it is my favorite site.
I tryed searching for a site like this one but all of them are just not as good as this one. Sad
tamashii
Newb

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cstdenis (Webmaster)"] The problem is too many people viewing pictures, which is why I think limiting/approving will have limited success in fixing this problem. [/quote]
:blink:

Ohhh kay. It's just a SIZE problem, really.

I understand the need for rules to avoid chaos-- and I understand Rayne's problem, too (partially because I understand it, and partially because she's my best friend TT;Wink.

I don't want this to become another Elfwood. I hate Elfwood. My friend (not R) couldn't even get ON to the site, and her art was totally appropriate. It was disgusting. She did the test 4 times, and was refused all 4 times!

Although I do get annoyed with people who post TOTAL crap, or steal... (mine's not total crap... it's mostly crap... hahaha)

SO what you need is more bandwidth and more people to help you do stuff on the site? Is that the problem? *twitchy face* I'm kinda sad that the site is down, but I know the logistics of this kind of site-- smaller is better, but the better it is, the bigger it gets, the bigger it gets, the more people visit.

So the approval panel would make things worse, wouldn't it? Because it would up the number of people looking at pics?

OK... well, I can't help you, there. I'm too busy. Maybe in the summer I'll have more time and I'll volunteer to help with stuff... (college=no life for Earthstar)

So for now, good luck. I'm rootin' for ya.

I'll host my images on my own site for now... ^^;;

Bai bai!

*waves*
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    www.fanart-central.net Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: